Mathematics for Secondary Teachers - M.A. Download to print
College of Arts and Sciences
The Master of Arts (M.A.) in Mathematics for Secondary Teachers is a three-year program offered in the evening and summer. Designed collaboratively by faculty in mathematical sciences and teacher education, the program is for in-service teachers and does not provide licensure. Students are required to pass a final qualifying examination in general mathematics.
Official transcript(s), goal statement, three letters of recommendation and resume or vita. Please refer to the University policy for graduate admissions.
Students are required to take at least 32 semester hours of graduate credit with at least 16 semester hours at the 60000 level and 22 semester hours in mathematics. In general, students will be expected to take two to three courses in each of the areas of modern algebra, geometry and analysis. Some additional exposure to applied mathematics and current trends in teaching will also be required. Candidates in this program are expected to pass a final examination in general mathematics.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
1. Reason in mathematical arguments, including using precise definitions, articulating assumptions, and reasoning logically to conclusions.
2. Engage effectively in problem solving, including exploring examples, devising and testing conjectures, and assessing the correctness of solutions.
3. Approach mathematical problems creatively, including trying multiple approaches and modifying problems when necessary to make them more tractable.
4. Communicate mathematics clearly both orally and in writing.
5. Teach high school-level mathematics.
6. Understand and appreciate connections among different subdisciplines of mathematics.
7. Be aware of and understand a broad range of mathematical subdisciplines.
8. Obtain a broader and deeper understanding of algebra, geometry and analysis and their interpretation in the K-12 curriculum.
- Admissions & Financial Aid
- Student Life
- News & Events