Foreign Language requirement
Effective with 2011 catalog students, the Foreign Language Core requirement* has been modified for many (but not all**) of the majors and minors in the College.
For certain programs, students in this catalog are permitted to fulfill the requirement by doing the following:
Elementary I and II of the same language, plus one of the following options:
- Intermediate I and II of the same language
- Elementary I and II of a second language
- Any combination of two courses from the following list:
- Intermediate I of the same language
- MCLS 10001 Introduction to Structural Concepts for Language Students
- MCLS 20000 Global Literacy and Cultural Awareness
- MCLS 20091 Seminar: Global Literacy Case Studies
*All students with prior foreign language experience should take the foreign language placement test to determine the appropriate level at which to start. Some students may begin their university foreign language experience beyond the Elementary I level and will complete the requirement with fewer credit hours and fewer courses. This may be accomplished by:
- passing a course beyond the Elementary I through Intermediate II level or
- receiving credit through Credit by Exam (CBE), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Advanced Placement (AP) exam or credit through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program; or
- being designated a "native speaker" of a non-English language (consult with the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office for additional Information) . When students complete the requirement with fewer than 14 credit hours and four courses, they will complete the remaining hours with general electives.
**Some degree programs and minors specifically require Option ‘1’, completing language coursework through Intermediate II. These include majors in American Sign Language (ASL), Classics (CLSS), English (ENG), French (FR), French Translation (FRTR), German (GER), German Translation (GRTR), International Relations (INTL), Latin (LAT), Russian (RUSS), Russian Translation (RUTR), Spanish (SPAN), Spanish Translation (SPTR), Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and minors in American Sign Language (ASL), Arabic (ARAB), Business French (BFR), Business German (BGER), Business Russian (BRUS), Business Spanish (BSPA), Chinese (CHIN), Classics (CLSS), French (FR), German (GER), Greek (GRE), Italian (ITAL), Japanese (JAPN), Latin (LAT), Russian (RUSS) and Spanish (SPAN).
Please contact the College advising office in 105 Bowman Hall should you have questions (330-672-2062).