Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Advising FAQs

How do I?... Frequently Asked Questions

by College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduates

JUMP TO: Advising, Classes & Course Related, Dates & Deadlines, Employment, Internships, Financial, Graduation, Locations and Contact Information, Majors & Minors, Scheduling, Student Life, Solve a Problem Not Covered Heretofore


Know when I can reach an advisor? 

A: College advisors work 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (regular business hours) with a lunch break from noon to 1:00 p.m. During these hours, advisors are available by appointment, email, or phone. 

Find out when walk-in advising sessions are scheduled? 

A: Walk-in advising is held the week before classes start and during the first week of the semester, on a first come, first served basis. For short 5 minute questions, “Quick Question” advising is available throughout the semester without an appointment. 

Schedule an advising appointment? 

A: You can set up an appointment online or by calling our reception desk at 330-672-2062. Visit our website at to make an appointment. Click on the link, “Make an Advising Appointment” for either the main office or the Learning Communities advisor (if you are in the Residential College in Wright Hall). Once you are in the appointment system, answer all of the questions, click continue, click on the blue date of your choice, click “OPEN” next to the time you choose, fill in your information (be sure to enter your entire email address), and include a brief description explaining your advising needs. Click “SUBMIT” for confirmation. A reminder notice will be sent to your Kent State email address. 

Cancel an advising appointment? 

A: The reminder notice you received via email when you scheduled your Advising appointment has a CANCELATION link that will allow you to cancel your Advising appointment. You can also cancel an advising appointment, by calling our office at 330-672-2062 during business hours, preferably at least 24 hours in advance of the appointment. 

Find out who my faculty advisor is? 

A: Contact the Department or office in which your major is housed, and they will give you the contact name of a faculty advisor. You can also find contact information for faculty advisors online at

Know what the difference is between my professional academic advisor and my faculty advisor? 

A: The professional (College) academic advisor is available for questions on University policies and procedures, College and University requirements (e.g., LER, Kent CORE), and feedback on program/course schedules. The faculty advisor is the primary expert on major and minor programs; s/he can recommend courses to take, internships or research opportunities, and career/graduate school advice. Please call the College office if you are not sure who to contact for help.

Bring someone to my advising appointment?

A: Advising appointments are one-on-one (student and advisor). Federal law (FERPA) considers the student the “holder” of all college academic records. A student’s academic information will not be shared with anyone else outside the university, including parents or a spouse. The student should expect to meet alone with an advisor, and directly share their concerns, if any, with College staff. If a student files a FERPA waiver, the parent who has been granted access may request information from the student’s record in writing and s/he will receive a written response in return. A student’s academic situation will not be discussed with a parent either over the phone or in person.. A student must request a FERPA waiver in writing and file the form with the Registrar’s office, if they wish to override this law. Visitors accompanying students are welcome to wait in our lobby area until the advising session is concluded.

^ back to top


Study abroad/away? 

A: For information go to

What is the additional cost to my tuition if I take more than 17 credit hours (overload fee/tuition plateau) in 2012? 

A: Students (Ohio residents and out-of-state) will be charged $440 per credit hour for all enrolled hours above the full-time tuition range. 

What is the additional cost to my tuition if I take more than 16 credit hours (overload fee) in 2013? 

A: Starting in the Fall 2013 semester, a flat rate will be applied to students taking between 11 – 16 credit hours. An additional $440 per credit hour is assessed for each credit hour enrolled above 16. 

I wish to take more than 18 credit hours and I don’t have the GPA for an automatic overload (When do I use the Overload form?) 

A: Students will need to fill out the Request for Overload form and submit it to the undergraduate advising office in the College (105 Bowman Hall) for review. The form can be found at the Undergraduate Advising website at: 

Apply to take classes at another institution and receive KSU credit for them (do transient coursework)? 

A: Make an appointment with a college advisor. College policy ordinarily does not allow a student to do coursework at another university/college if they are in their last 30 hours at KSU. Approval to do this (transient coursework) must be obtained PRIOR to taking the course(s). Kent State University students who wish to take coursework at another accredited institution of higher education must receive the prior approval of the department at KSU housing the equivalent coursework, as well as the academic dean of the appropriate unit if the student intends to apply this coursework toward the Kent State University degree program. Transient work by students who are on probation, may be restricted by the student’s college. All credits granted for transient work will be translated into semester hours. Grades received for transient work are not transferred; only credit hours are transferred. Generally, credit for non-remedial courses in which students have earned a minimum C (2.0) at an accredited school (as determined by the Transfer Center) will be considered for transfer. However, transfer credit earned fall 2005 and later from a regionally accredited Ohio college or university will be awarded for all non-remedial courses in which students have earned a minimum D (1.00) grade. 

Students are reminded that no more than 18 semester hours of transient work may be approved. Approvals for transient attendance are valid for one term only (quarter, semester, etc.) at other institutions and are subject to all restrictions of the dean of their college.

Know what courses are upper division?

A: Upper division courses start with a three or four (30000, 40000). 

Test out of a class (credit by exam)? 

A: Visit the Registrar’s website at : . Be aware that many courses do not allow credit by exam. 

Access my KAPS report (for catalog years prior to 2010)? 

A: Log into Flashline and select the “Student Tools and Courses” tab. Select “KAPS” under the Graduation Planning System (GPS) list. Your KAPS report will appear in a new window. You can run the “default program” if it lists your major or a “selected program” if the default is not your current major. Select “Submit New Audit”, wait for the grey “Open Audit” button to appear. Be sure to select “Open All Sections” after the report window opens. 

Access my GPS report (for catalog years 2010 to the present)? 

A. Log into Flashline and select the "Student Tools and Courses" tab. Select "Degree Audit and Plan" under the Graduation Planning System (GPS) list. Your degree audit will appear. Click "Process new" to be sure all of your information is correct and up-to-date. See for information on how to read the audit. 

Find out my catalog year? 

A: You can find your catalog year on your KAPS or GPS report. 

Find my “roadmap”? 

A: The “roadmap” explains how a student may plan their course of study for their major degree program. It includes recommended course sequencing for major, College, and University requirements. This information can be found at

Request a transcript?

A: Access FlashLine and select the “Student Tools & Courses” tab. In the ‘Submit Requests’ box, select “Official Academic Transcript”. You may then enter the address(es) of your desired recipients. There is no charge to request a transcript. See also the Registrar’s transcript web site at

Prepare for a long term absence from the University? 

A: If a student is anticipating a long term absence due to health reasons while taking courses, they should contact all of their instructors, provide documentation to each, and assess with their instructors the scenarios of taking an incomplete in a course vs. withdrawing. The timeline of the semester may impact eligibility for either of these options. For information regarding class Withdrawals (and Incompletes) see the university catalog at and For information regarding the Incomplete policy, please also visit page 8 of this document. 

Transfer to another university? 

A: Contact the school you hope to attend and follow the procedures/requirements that they have put in place. The destination institution is your first point of contact. 

Exit KSU? 

A: Students on financial aid who wish to exit should visit the financial aid web-site at If a student needs to exit due to Military call to duty, see, otherwise, there is no process required for exiting other than withdrawing from classes. Students who live in a residence hall will need to contact Residence Services to notify them. 

^ back to top


Find out when the last day to drop or add a class would be? 

A: Visit the Registrar’s website at

Find out when the last day to ‘withdraw’ is? 

A: Visit the Registrar’s website at The tenth week of the semester is typically the deadline period for withdrawal for a full term semester course. If you are registered for a half-semester course then the withdrawal deadline will be different. 

Find out when to apply for graduation? 

A: It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of graduation application deadlines for each semester. These dates are found at

^ back to top


Apply for financial aid?

A: Visit the student Financial Aid website at or call 330-672-2972. 

Get information about my bill/bursar’s account? 

A: Visit the Bursar’s Office website at or call 330-672-2626. You can view your student account by logging into FlashLine and then clicking on the tab, “My Account.” 

Find internships? 

A: Students should consult with a faculty advisor to find out if internship or field placement coursework is available, and about internships that are appropriate for their major. Many departments have a listing of internships that students have done in the past in the departmental office.  

The Career Services Center is also a great resource for students looking for internships and/or jobs. They manage internship/job listings, host job/internship fairs, and can offer assistance with resume writing and interviewing skills. You can find more information online at

Find out what I can do with my major after I graduate? 

A: Your faculty advisor (or program coordinator) is a great resource for career and graduate school planning. The Career Services Center also offers a lot of great resources for students trying to decide on a major or career. Career Counselors are available to meet with students by appointment and on a walk in basis (during specific days/times). Go online to for more information about career counseling. Also take a look at the “Student Career Path” tab on FlashLine for assessments and links to many different career related sites. Go online to for broad information about different career paths depending on your major. 

^ back to top


Apply for graduation? 

A: It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of graduation application deadlines for each semester. These are found at They are also provided on your GPS or KAPS degree audit. A student can apply online via FlashLine. Be aware that applying late/missing the deadline can result in a $200 late fee.  

To access the online graduation application: 

  • Log into FlashLine, then click on the “Student Tools and Courses” tab  
  • Go to the “Apply for Graduation” box and click on “Application for Graduation.”
  • Review and acknowledge the Important Information Concerning Your Graduation Application page.
  • Select and submit your curriculum.
  • Select and submit your graduation term.
  • Review your information for accuracy and submit your request.
  • Print the Graduation Application Acknowledgment page for your records.
  • View submitted graduation applications by clicking on the link at the bottom of your acknowledgment page or from the link in your Graduation Planning Tools channel.
  • Once the information has been submitted, it will be reviewed and acted on appropriately by your college or Regional Campus office.
  • Any questions about applying for graduation should be referred to your advisor/advising office (College of Arts and Sciences, 330-672-2062).

Check to see if I am on track for graduation? 

A: Students can utilize their KAPS Report or GPS degree audit for graduation planning and determination of remaining requirements. These programs can be found on the “Student Tools & Courses” tab on FlashLine. Students should make an appointment each year in order to consult with an academic advisor in the College and/or their faculty advisor. 

Find out how many credits I need to graduate? 

A: You need a minimum of 121 credits to graduate. However, the number of hours is determined by completion of all degree requirements. 

Know how many upper division hours I need to graduate? 

A: In this College (A&S), a student needs 42 hours of upper division coursework (3/40000 level). 

Find out what the graduation requirements are? 

A: Visit the College of Arts and Sciences web site at Students should be sensitive to their catalog year in the determination of degree requirements. Please consult your KAPS or GPS report or meet with your college advisor if you are unsure regarding these requirements. Consult your program requirements (“major”) sheet. These sheets for the latest catalog year can be found at

You can find the 2012 catalog requirements for your specific degree (B.A. or B.S.) by accessing the Universities catalog found at: 

To access the 2011 or older catalog requirements go to the catalog archives website at:

^ back to top


Get to the Kent Campus?

A: For driving directions, please visit

Find the College of A&S Advising Office? 

A: 105 Bowman Hall; for a campus map, please visit

Find the Learning Communities/Residential College advisor? 

A. 120 Wright Hall; for a campus map, please visit

Contact the College of Arts and Sciences? 

A: Staff are available to assist you during normal business hours (8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday) at 330-672-2062. (Advisors are typically not available at the lunch hour.) 

^ back to top


Find out what majors and minors are available? 

A: Visit the College of Arts and Sciences web site at

Declare a major/minor? 

A: For the College of Arts and Sciences, you declare a major/minor by accessing your FlashLine account, then go to “Student Tools & Courses “tab and click on the “Undergraduate Change of Program” link in the GPS channel. Select the option relative to your needs. Make sure that after you have declared a major/minor you schedule an advising appointment to review the new requirements with an academic advisor. 

Change my major? Find another major? 

A: If you would like to change your major to a program within the College of Arts & Sciences (, complete the “Undergraduate Change of Program” form online and schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor (see above for instructions). 

If you would like to change your major to a program within one of Kent State’s other Colleges, you will need to contact that College’s advising office for specific instructions. Go online to for contact information for each College.

Add a minor? 

A: To add one of the College of Arts and Science’s minors (, complete the “Undergraduate Change of Program” form online and contact the department where the minor is housed to meet with the program coordinator to review the minor requirements.. 

If the minor you are considering is in another College, contact that College’s advising office for specific instructions. Go online to for contact information for each College.

Is there a GPA requirement if I want to declare a major in the College of Arts and Sciences?

A: GPA requirements vary by College and by major. Consult specific major/College requirements in the KSU Catalog at All students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and major GPA to graduate from an A&S degree program. 

^ back to top


Know when it is my time to register for classes (use Priority Registration)? 

A. Based on the number of credit hours accumulated (earned), use the table found on the Registrar’s web site here: 

Sign up for classes using FlashFAST? 

A: Click the FlashLine Login link in the top right corner of the Kent State University homepage. Enter your username and password. Once you are logged into FlashLine, click on the “Student Tools & Courses” tab to access FlashFAST. FlashFAST is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Register for classes? 

A: Students will process their registrations and schedule adjustments using FlashFAST. For directions on how to register using FlashFAST, visit See the Registrar’s web site for the (pre)registration entry schedule at

View my current class schedule? 

A: Log into FlashLine and click on the “Student Tools & Courses” tab. Click on the ‘Print Student Schedule’ link in the FlashFAST channel. 

Get “special approval” or “permission” to register for a class that requires it? 

A: Contact the department that is offering the class in order to get the approval to register for that particular class. (The College office cannot grant this permission.) 

See if I might get into a class that is closed? 

A: Contact the department that offers the course since departmental policies and procedures may vary. The College office does not issue permits to students for full (closed) classes. You may be informed by the department that it is not possible to increase the capacity of the class. If this is the case, you will need to monitor the course on FlashLine in case another student drops the class and a seat becomes available. One other option is to choose a different section of the course, or to select an alternative course. 

Find out what a prerequisite/test score error is when trying to register, and why it is preventing me from adding a class?

A: If you are receiving this message it is likely that you have not completed the necessary prerequisites for this class. Consult the Course Descriptions in FlashLine to determine if you have taken the appropriate prerequisites for the course. If you have, you should contact the department that offers the class – they may issue a permit which will allow you to then add the course. 

Register for classes at a regional campus, if I am currently attending the Kent campus? 

A: You do not need to apply for admission to the regional campus. KSU is an eight-campus system; when you register for the next semester’s courses, select your intended regional campus, rather than the Kent campus. You should also contact the Student Service office of the regional campus to find out information about parking, tuition, and financial aid. If you are currently living in a residence hall on the Kent campus, you should contact Residence Services if you will not be returning in the future. 

Return to Kent State after I have been away for a few semesters? 

A: If you have not attended another college or university during your time away, contact the Registrar at 330-672-3131 to reactivate your enrollment. If you have attended another institution during your time away, you will need to reapply through Admissions as a transfer student; see

Register to take more undergraduate courses if I already have a bachelor’s degree? 

A: Visit the Admissions web site for more information regarding Post-Undergraduate status:

Find out what a course withdrawal is, and how withdrawal affects me? 

A: We recommend that you contact an academic advisor if you are contemplating withdrawing from a course. Please also visit the Registrar’s office web site at

Withdraw from my class? 

A: We recommend that you contact an academic advisor if you are contemplating course withdrawal. Also visit the Registrar’s office web site at

Request an Incomplete for a class? 

A: A student needs to meet with the course instructor to determine if they qualify for an Incomplete. The process includes the completion of the paper “Incomplete Mark form.” The administrative mark of IN (Incomplete) may be given to students (undergraduates who are currently passing and graduate students who are currently earning a C or better grade) and are unable to complete the required work between the course withdrawal deadline and the end of classes due to extenuating circumstances. The time line shall be adjusted as appropriate for summer sessions and flexibly scheduled courses. Appropriate documentation is generally required to support the extenuating circumstance. The student must initiate the request for the Incomplete mark from the instructor, and it is the responsibility of the student to arrange to make up the incomplete work. Incomplete grades must be made up within one semester (not including summer sessions) for undergraduate students and one calendar year for graduate students. Instructors are required to complete and submit an Incomplete Mark Form to the department chair at the time grades are assigned. This form includes justification for awarding the Incomplete, describes the work to be completed for the course and specifies the grade to be assigned if the work is not completed (default grade). A copy of the Incomplete Mark Form is provided to the student. Incomplete grades will not be counted in the computation of grade point averages until the work is completed, at which time an appropriate grade will be assigned based on the instructor’s evaluation of the work submitted and a new grade point average computed. Unless the course is completed or an extension is granted, Incomplete grades will automatically lapse to the grade designated on the Incomplete Mark Form at the end of one semester for undergraduate students and at the end of one year for graduate students. 

^ back to top


Apply (be admitted to) to Kent State University? 

A: You can apply online at

Find out about campus closures and emergencies? 

A: Flash ALERTS is Kent State’s official emergency text notification system to alert subscribers of critical information no matter what time it is or where they are in the world. Flash ALERTS expands the university's ability to send critical news and information to the university community during campus emergencies. You can sign up to receive Flash ALERTS by visiting

Get involved with department clubs? 

A: Visit for more information, or contact your major department at:

^ back to top


Transfer to another university? 

A: Make contact with the destination institution. 

Apply for “Academic Forgiveness”? 

A: Purpose: The Academic Forgiveness Policy pertains only to former Kent State students returning to the university as undergraduate students after a significant absence and prior to earning any degree at any institution. It provides them an opportunity to have their academic standing reflect their increased maturity and readiness, and improved level of academic performance gained since the interruption of studies at Kent State. Specifically, once the returning students have demonstrated the ability to sustain a satisfactory level of academic performance following their return, all grades of C-, D+, D, F, NF, SF, M and U earned during the previous Kent State enrollment will be disregarded in the cumulative calculations of hours attempted, quality points earned and grade point average. 

Eligibility: The Academic Forgiveness Policy is available to any Kent State University student who has not been enrolled for a period of at least one calendar year (12 months). 

Procedure: Any student who has not been enrolled at Kent State University for at least 12 consecutive months may request information on the Academic Forgiveness Policy and an Application for Academic Forgiveness form from student’s academic advising office. Once the acknowledgement portion of the form is completed, the student’s records will be reviewed by the appropriate dean at the conclusion of each subsequent term. After returning to Kent State, a student must complete a minimum of 12 graded credit hours with a minimum 2.000 GPA to be eligible for academic forgiveness. If the student meets these conditions, has completed the Application for Academic Forgiveness form, and requests to have the policy applied, the following steps will be taken with regard to the student’s academic record: 

  1. All courses in which grades of C-, D+, D, F, NF, SF, M or U were received in the previous period of Kent State enrollment will be retained on the academic transcript with the notation of an “E” in the repeat column, which denotes courses excluded from GPA calculation, and the official grade will be changed to X* (e.g., XC-, XD, etc.), which denotes academic forgiveness. 
  2. All cumulative calculations of hours attempted, quality points earned and cumulative GPA also will be adjusted. 
  3. If a student has been awarded an associate degree and/or certificate from Kent State University, only courses not used in the completion of an associate degree and/or certificate will be eligible for the application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy. 

If the student fails to maintain a minimum 2.000 GPA for the first 12 semester hours of graded coursework following return to the university, the eligibility period shall be extended through the term that encompasses the 24th semester hour of graded coursework. Students are permitted to use the provisions provided by the Course Repeat Policy during the extension period. If after completing 24 graded semester hours, the returning student has not achieved a 2.000 GPA, eligibility for the academic forgiveness will have expired. 

Exceptions/Explanations: The Academic Forgiveness Policy is non-selective. It applies to all grades below C (2.000), with the exception of courses taken on a pass/fail basis that were earned in the previous period of Kent State University enrollment, or to none. In the event that a course for which the students previously had received a “passing” grade of C-, D+ or D is required for the degree program the students are pursuing, the students must retake this course unless the dean of the college in which the students are enrolled approves a suitable substitution. The original GPA (unadjusted by the application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy) will be used in determining eligibility for university, collegial, departmental or professional honors or other recognition based upon the entirety of students’ undergraduate academic career and record of academic performance. Former students returning to the university may request the application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy to their record only once in their career at Kent State and within the eligibility standard. The Academic Forgiveness Policy applies only to coursework formerly taken at Kent State University and only to the students’ Kent State transcript. It is available to undergraduate students only. The dean of the college or regional campus or director of the independent school in which the students are enrolled at the time of eligibility for the application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy shall determine all questions as to the eligibility for, and the application of, the Academic Forgiveness Policy. Completed forms are submitted to the University Registrar for validation and application to the students’ records. 

Please make an appointment with a College advisor if you think you may qualify.

Use the Course Repeat for Recalculation (“Freshman Forgiveness”) policy? 

A: Students may repeat courses taken at Kent State University subject to the following provisions: 

Students may repeat a course already passed for additional credit if it is identified as repeatable in the course description. Some academic units place a limit on the total number of credits that may be earned in a given repeatable course. For credit limits on specific courses, see course descriptions or consult your advisor. 

Students may repeat for credit any upper-division (30000-40000 level) courses they have failed; however, all grades earned are counted in the cumulative grade point average. Students may repeat upper-division (30000-40000 level) courses already passed with the approval of the academic dean in order to meet specific graduation requirements, but the hours earned the second time do not, under any circumstances, count toward graduation. All grades earned are counted in the cumulative grade point average. 

Students may repeat lower-division (10000-20000 level) courses, and the university will use only the highest grade in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average (Repeat for Recalc). Lower-division course repeat with recalculation is subject to the following provisions: 

  • The course must be repeated at Kent State University.
  • The course must be repeated for a letter grade, including S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory), but not pass/fail.
  • All grades will appear on the official transcript.
  • Only the highest grade received for the course will be used in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
  • Recalculation of the students’ cumulative grade point average will occur automatically at the end of the semester in which students complete the repeated course.
  • All eligible courses will be included in the recalculation.
  • Courses taken as part of a completed associate degree may be repeated under this policy.
  • All course repeats for recalculation must be completed before conferral of the first bachelor's degree.
  • All grades will be counted in determining grade point average for graduation with institutional honors and may also be counted for admission to or progression in specific programs, for admission to graduate programs or for admission to other institutions. These computations are independent of the cumulative grade point average as it appears on the transcript or student grade report.
  • Credit for a repeated course will apply only once toward meeting degree requirements. 
  • The university is not obligated to offer courses so that students can repeat them.
  • This policy does not apply to variable content courses that are repeatable for credit, such as special topics, individual investigation, practicum, internship, etc.
  • This policy was effective with the spring 2008 semester. 

Please contact the College office with any questions regarding this policy.

Address an issue with an instructor? 

A: We advise students to contact the instructor by phone or email to discuss the issue. If the student is still concerned after this discussion, please make an appointment to talk to the Department Chair or Program Coordinator in the department. A student may also consult with the Student Ombuds, Dr. Jennifer Kulics. For more information about the Student Ombuds, see For more detail about the academic complaint process, please see the Policy Register at:

^ back to top

If you have additional questions not addressed here, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Advising office at 330-672-2062, 105 Bowman Hall.