Department of Physics News
Announcements for 2004Posted Dec. 31, 2004
Faculty committee minutes...
Physics department minutes...
Physics Faculty: if you have forgotten how to access the committee minutes, please see the hint at the bottom of this page.
- Work by Prof. Satyen Kumar and his group on a novel boomerang-shaped form of Liquid Crystal has been featured in an article in Physical Review Focus; click on the picture for details. (The picture is of an unrelated Liquid Crystalline material under a polarizing microscope, courtesy of Prof. Jim Gleeson.)
- four of our faculty members —John Barrick, Joe Gallant, Steve Minnick, and Jon Secaur — on being recognized by KSU in October 2004 as "faculty members who have made a difference in the lives of Kent State graduates".
- physics major Nathan E. Hudson, winner this year of both the Lillian Kroenke Scholarship and the Bengier Senior Honors Thesis Fellowship.
- students Stephen Daigle, John Hilbert, Katharine Hudson, Nathan Hudson, Marshall Hyden, Robert Larke, Jeff Musa, and Don Norvell, all recipients of various awards for 2004 (see link for details and photos).
- graduate student Sara Ubaid who has been selected to attend the 2004 Meeting of Nobel Laureates and Students in Lindau, Germany.
- our faculty member John Barrick on being honored with a Distinguished Teaching Award from the College of Arts & Sciences for 2004.
- Physics Office Assistant Angie Myers on being a nominee for Student Employee of the Year.
- Prof. Bryon Anderson on the recent publication of his book, The Physics of Sailing Explained.
Note that our department's internal web area (handbook, meeting minutes, various internal documents) are not linked from these public pages, nor are they accessible via the public search page. To access these materials, consult the office staff or search your e-mail archive for messages with "internal web area" in the subject line.