Careers Using Pan-African Studies Skills
Some things worth thinking about:
- Many international organizations value the historical and contemporary context of knowledge of African continental cultures that one learns in the African Studies minor.
- Learn one or more foreign languages.
- Plan to study, volunteer, or intern abroad more than one time if possible.
- Seek cultural experiences on campus and get involved with the international student population, particularly Kent State African Student Association (KASA).
- Participate in an international service learning experience or go on a mission trip to Africa or the Caribbean.
- Social Work
- Probation Officer
- Community Education
- Community Activism
- Case Management
- Volunteer Services
- Crisis Services (pregnancy, housing, etc.)
- Nonprofit and Social Services Organizations
- Immigrant and Refugee Service Providers
- Migrant Service Providers
- Hospitals and Hospices
- Residential Treatment Facilities
- Youth Organizations and Campus including YMCA, YWCA, Young Life, etc.
- Churches, synagogues and mosques
- Lobby Agencies
- Nongovernmental Organization Staffing
- International Diplomacy
- Humanitarian Services
- Economic and Community Development
- Policy Development
- Foreign Affairs
- International Security
- International Aid and Relief Organizations
- Think Tanks
Jobs in Business
- Public Relations
- Public Administration
- Personnel Management/ Diversity/ Inclusion
- Nonprofit Management
- Human Resources: Training and Development, Recruitment or Equity and Diversity Functions
- Staffing Agencies
- Learn how to sell your Pan-African Studies major to business employers that value employees who understand and tolerate cultural diversity.
- Double major in Business, Public Health, Geography, or History.
Jobs in Education
- Student Affairs Administration
- Multicultural Programming
- Programs/ Study Abroad Administration
- Earn Certification/ Licensure to teach in Public Secondary Schools. Choose a double major in area such as history.
- Volunteer to assist a faculty member with research
Communication and the Arts
- Journalism/ Writing
- Creative Writing
- Music Management
- Visual Arts
- Arts Education
- Museum and other curating