- Career & Major Selection
- Graduate School Prep
- Internship Prep
- Job & Internship Search
- Testing (ACT, CLEP)
Services for Students and Alumni:
Career Services Center261 Schwartz Center
Job Postings & Employers
KSU Student Employment
HoursMonday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call for an Appointment
Drop-In Career CounselingMonday - Friday
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 2 - 4 p.m.
Resumes & Letters
A visually attractive, well thought-out resume is a powerful job search tool that should help you get attention, land an interview, and showcase your unique credentials.
"The career counselor made fabulous recommendations on my resume. It was wonderful getting that second look."
- KSU Student
What's Included on a Resume?
The most effective resumes are designed with a specific type of position in mind and provide a clear, concise summary of your qualifications. Resume content should be written and organized to emphasize your strengths and minimize weaknesses.
- Begin your rough draft to preferably fit on one or two pages, with the most relevant information emphasized based on the requirements of the position you are seeking. Avoid using a resume wizard as these can create future editing challenges.
- Refer to our Sample Resumes & Cover Letters or Educator's Quick Guide.
- Have your resume proofed by one of our career experts, or one or two persons you trust as having expertise in resume development and your career field.
- It must be flawless and contain no spelling or grammatical errors.
- Format must be visually attractive with appropriate spacing and headings highlighted.
- Quantify accomplishments when possible (numbers, dollars, percentages).
- Content must be accurate and honest.
- Avoid personal information such as age, marital status, height/weight.
- Print resume on conservative paper (ivory, gray, or white is best for scanning).
- Do not use personal pronouns or complete sentences. Use action verbs and phrases to describe tasks and responsibilities.
- If two pages, do not staple. Place your name and "Page two" on the second page.
- Indicate numbers 10 and over as numerical, nine and under as written words.
Submitting Your Resume Online
Many organizations instruct applicants to submit personal information online and upload the content of a cover letter and resume to apply for a job. This means that you will want to remember the following:
- If submitting your resume via email, convert it first to PDF format to ensure it appears correctly to the reader.
- Use key words in your resume related to your industry as many employers use software to scan for these words to identify desirable candidates.
|Cover & Thank You Letters|