- Career & Major Selection
- Graduate School Prep
- Internship Prep
- Job & Internship Search
- Testing (ACT, CLEP)
Services for Students and Alumni:
Career Services Center261 Schwartz Center
Job Postings & Employers
KSU Student Employment
HoursMonday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call for an Appointment
Drop-In Career CounselingMonday - Friday
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 2 - 4 p.m.
Internships are a great way to build skills, gain experience and a first-hand look at occupations.
Employers value interns who bring new ideas to the workplace and are now the number one way in which employers identify future hires.
"This was a great organization to intern with. They were dedicated to making the experience valuable for all."
- KSU Intern
Find internships on the Experience Job & Internship Board
How to Prepare for and Make the Most of an Internship
1. Assess Your Readiness for an Internship
- Are you confident about your career goals?
- When do you wish to complete an internship and is it required of your program?
- Do you know the basics?
» Internships can occur year round, typically last about 10 - 15 weeks, and often range from 10-30 work hours per week.
» Details about the number of hours worked, length of internship, rate of pay, and other specifics are negotiated between employers and interns.
» If registering for academic credit, you will also need to meet academic program requirements and should contact the appropriate department internship contact for prior approval.
2. Create a Professional Image on Paper and Online
- Prepare your resume and cover letter.
- Brush up on etiquette for a professional image.
- Establish a strategic social media presence.
- Meet with a career expert to have your resume/LinkedIn account reviewed.
3. Locate and Apply for Internships
- Develop a network of contacts, especially in your fields of interest.
- Create your one-minute self-marketing pitch.
- Places to search for openings and research potential employers:
Experience Job & Internship Board OhioMeansInternships.com Fall and Spring Job & Internship Fairs NEOintern.net Department Internship Contacts Third Frontier Internships Internship Search Sites Department/College Information
- Follow up within a couple weeks after applying for a position to ask:
» What is the status of my application and timeline for hiring?
» Can I provide any additional materials or information?
4. Practice Interviewing
5. Convey Professionalism at All Times
- Arrive on time, dress in business attire, and display a strong work ethic.
- Respect office protocols and learn all you can about the organization, industry, and profession.
- Network by speaking to people in all positions and seek out a mentor.
- Communicate regularly with your supervisor. Listen, ask questions, complete assigned projects, and ask for new tasks, as appropriate.
- Show initiative by being willing to learn new skills.