Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Health Care Facilities Certificate

The Graduate Certificate in Health Care Facilities is offered by the College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED).  The program includes coursework offered by multiple Colleges at Kent State, including the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, the College of Public Health and the College of Nursing.

The course list/roadmap is below, outlining the option for completion in a single academic year:

Health Care Facilities Certificate Curriculum


AED 63001

Evidence Based Design in Health Care


ARCH 63002

Health Care Facilities l


ARCH 63003

Health Care Facilities ll


EHS 52018

Environmental Health Concepts


HPM 53003

Health Care Systems


 Plus one of the following two courses:

HPM 53004

Public Health Policy, Law and Ethics


NURS 60450

Ethical and Cultural Issues for Health Professionals


Plus one from the following list:

ARCH 55640

Developing Environments for Older Adults


HPM 52016

Public Health Administration


HPM 53005

Financial Management for Public Health Organizations


SBS 50020

Social and Behavioral Science Theories in Public Health


Total Requirements:

Minimum Total Hours:


Upper Division Hours:


Liberal Education Requirement Hours


Diversity Course Global/Domestic


*Additional information regarding courses can be found on

The total minimum required credits is 20. This means the course options to complete in one year could include 12 in the fall and 8 in the spring or 9 in the fall and 11 in the spring.  Of course, the curriculum is flexible to permit part-time enrollment.


Application to the Certificate in Healthcare Facilities at Kent State University will be as a Graduate Certificate student through the Graduate Studies website. Please see  for details on the "Certificate Student" status and the application process.  The Certificate is housed in the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, therefore, admission decisions rest with the CAED. 

If you are a current or admitted graduate student in another graduate program at Kent State University, a Change of Program form must be submitted.  This should be initiated with the home college of the student for that college's approval prior to submission to the College of Architecture and Environmental Design for approval.  This form should be available through the student's Graduate Coordinator or Graduate Advisor.    

Tuition and fees: is the Kent State University Bursar's office this site will have information related to tuition and fees and payment options. is the link to the 2013-2014 AY graduate tuition and fees schedule.


Graduate Coordinator:
Margaret P. Calkins, Ph.D., EDAC
Program Coordinator, Health Care Design

If you have questions, please contact:
Ms. Lisa Pozo
Administrative Secretary, CAED Graduate Programs