Rui Liu, PhD., P.E.
Dr. Rui Liu is an Assistant Professor in the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, Kent State University (KSU). His research interests are in the field of sustainable infrastructure, especially in the areas of innovative construction materials, intelligent design, inspection, rating, maintenance, and repair of infrastructure. Since he graduated with his Ph.D. from University of Colorado Denver in 2010, Dr. Liu has participated in several research projects as a principal investigator (PI) or Co-PI. He is serving in the editorial board of Journal of Material Science Research. His studies have been published in American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Journal of Civil Engineering Materials, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Construction and Building Materials and other Journals. At KSU, he is teaching structural systems and sustainable building construction.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Selected Journal Publications
1. Liu, R., Rens, K.L., &Martinez, J.D. (2014). “Updated Inventory and Assessment of Curb and Gutter in Denver, Colorado”. ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities. Accepted for Publication. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000590
2. Rens, K.L.,Liu, R. & Foltz, S. D. (2013). “A sustainable approach for optimal steel sheet pile structure assessment, maintenance, and rehabilitation”. ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities.27 (2), 181-190.
3. Liu, R., Solis, A., Durham, S.A., & Rens, K.L.(2012) ““Green” concrete technologies for sustainable development”. International Journal of Constructed Environment. 2(2), 21-36.
4. Liu, R., Durham, S.A., Rens, K.L. & Ramaswami, A. (2012) “Optimization of cementitious material content for sustainable concrete mixtures”. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 24(6), 745-753.
5. Liu, R., Durham, S.A., &Rens, K.L. (2011). “Effect of post mercury control fly ash on fresh and hardened concrete properties”. Construction and Building Materials, 25 (8), 3283-3290.
Selected Referred Conference Publications
1. Liu, R., Rens, K.L. (2012, Oct.). Inspection and rating of the platte river bridge in Denver, Proceedings of ASCE 6th Congress on Forensic Engineering, San Francisco, CA, USA. 8-17.
2. Liu, R., Durham, S.A., & Rens, K.L. (2010, Nov.). Durability of sustainable concrete mixtures, Proceedings of T&DI/ASCE 2010 Green Streets and Highways Conference, Denver, CO, USA. 248-257.
Selected Conference Presentations
1. Liu, R.(Presenter), Smartz, B., Descheneaux, B. Comparison of LCCA to Environmental LCA for Highway Pavement. 2014 International Concrete Sustainability Conference. May 12-15, Boston, MA.
2. Liu, R. (Presenter), Yang, Z. Recycled Tires as Coarse Aggregate in Concrete Pavement Mixtures. 2014 29th International Conference of Solid Wastes. March 30-April 2, Philadelphia, PA.
3. Liu, R. (presenter). Concrete Carbon Footprint Mitigation By Implementing Performance-Based Specifications. 2013 Carbon Management Technology Conference, Alexandria, VA. October 21-23.
- Sustainable Construction Materials
- Infrastructure Inspection and Rating
- Sustainable Infrastructure Management