Ji Young Cho, PhD, LEED-AP
Dr. Ji Young Cho is an assistant professor in the Interior Design Program, College of Architecture and Environmental Design at Kent State University. She received her PhD in Architectural Studies with an emphasis on environment and behavior studies from the University of Missouri, Columbia, and Bachelor and Master Degree in Architecture from Pusan National University, South Korea. She has taught and developed courses, such as design studios, digital graphics, design communication, buildings system, and method of inquiry courses at Kent State University and University of Missouri.
Prior to USA, She has worked as a project manager and designer for 10 years in Seoul, Korea,and designed more than 50 renovation projects in Korea and overseas. She holds a LEED-AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional) Certificate in the USA and an Architecture Engineer License in South Korea. Her hobby is playing the piano.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
1. Brummel, T. & Cho, J. Y. (2015) Neuroaesthetic studies in architecture: Insights from neural science on aesthetic experience. (accepted for EDRA full paper)
2. Constantino, B. & Cho, J. Y. (2015). Calibrating collaboration: Strategies for creative outcome. International Journal of Design Management and Professional Practice (accepted).
3. Cho, J. Y. & Schwarz, B. (2015). Aesthetic theory and interior design pedagogy, In Jo Ann Thompson and Nancy Blossom (Eds.) The Handbook of Interior Design. Wiley-Blackwell.
4. Cho, J. Y. & Lee, E-H. (2014). Reducing Confusion About Grounded Theory and Qualitative Content Analysis: Similarities and Differences. The Qualitative Report, 19(64), 1-20.
5. Cho, J. Y. & Cho, M-H. (2014). Student Perceptions of and Performance in Online and Offline Collaboration in an Interior Design Studio. International Journal of Technology and Design Education. DOI.10.1007/s10798-014-9265-0
6. Cho, J. Y. (2013). Process of Aesthetic Education in Design Studio: A Layperson’s Acculturation to the Architecture and Design Community. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 30(4), 328-343.
7. Cho, J. Y. (2013). Customization and Autonomy: Characteristics of the Ideal Design Studio Instructor in Design Education. Architectural Research, 15(3), 123-132.
8. Cho, J. Y. (2013). KIID (Korea Institute of Interior Design) 2013 International Invitation Exhibition, Oct 9-13 in Artcenter Gallery, Seoul, Korea. Design work titled "Design as a Journey to Discover and Create Beauty for Quality of Life".
9. Cho, J. Y. (2013). 2013 BUGAIK International Architecture Exhibition. Hyomin Gallery, Dong-Eui University, Busan, Korea. Dec 1-6th, 2013. Design work title: "Seoul City Hall main conference hall renovation”
10. Cho, J. Y. (2012). Design Research Using the Grounded Theory Approach: The Search for a Research Method for Design Process. Design Communication Association. Proceeding of DCA, 69-75.
11. Cho, J. Y. (2012). Spatial Ability, Creativity, and Studio Performance in Architectural Design, In Beyond Codes and Pixels: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (edited by T. Fischer, K. De Biswas, J.J. Ham, R. Naka, W.X. Huang), 131–140.
12. Cho, J. Y. & Yoon, S. Y. (2011). Different Aesthetic Impressions of Building Design between Designers and Laypersons: A Case Study on Two Public Buildings using Virtual Reality Technology,Journal of Korean Living Science Research, 31(2), 15-21.
13. Yoon,S. Y. & Cho, J. Y. (2011). Emotional responses to color environments: An experimental study on young and older adults using a semi immersive virtual environment, Journal of Korean Living Science Research, 31(1), 49-58
14. Yoon,S. Y., Oh, H. J. & Cho, J. Y. (2010). Understanding Furniture Design Choices Using a 3D Virtual Showroom. Journal of Interior Design, 33(5),33-50
- Design Process and Cognition
- Design Pedagogy
- Aesthetic Theory, Color Theory
- Design Evaluation and Research Method