Shawn Rohlin is an Assistant Professor of Economics at Kent State University. His research specialties are in Urban, Public and Labor Economics. Specifically, his research studies how government policies impact local economic factors, such as business location decisions. He received the Junior Scholar Award from the Lincoln Land Institute in 2011. In 2012, he received the David C. Lincoln Fellowship in Land Value Taxation. His research has won the "Most Outstanding Paper" in 2011 for Public Finance Review. He received his Ph.D. and Master's degree in economics from Syracuse University in 2009 and 2006, respectively. Shawn also graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Rochester Institute of Technology in 2004.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Reynolds, C. Lockwood, and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2013. "The Effects of Location-based Tax Policies on the Distribution of Household Income: Evidence from the Federal Empowerment Zone Program." [Conditional Acceptance at Journal of Urban Economics]
- Rohlin, Shawn M., Stuart Rosenthal, and Amanda Ross, 2014. "Tax Avoidance and Business Location in a State Border Model." Journal of Urban Economics 83, pp. 34-49.
- Park, Jooyoun, C. Lockwood Reynolds and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2014. "The Impact of Import-related Displacement on Local Business Activity." Regional Science and Urban Economics 48, pp. 94-109.
- Reynolds, C. Lockwood, and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2014. "Do Location-based Tax Incentives Improve Quality of Life and Quality of Business Environment?" Journal of Regional Science Vol. 54, No. 1, pp.1-32. [lead article] [published paper]
- Greenhalgh-Stanley, Nadia, and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2013. "How Does Bankruptcy Law Impact the Elderly's Business and Housing Decisions?" Journal of Law and Economics Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 417-45. [published paper]
- Hanson, Andrew and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2013. "Do Spatially Targeted Redevelopment Programs Spill-Over," Regional Science and Urban Economics, 43 issue 1, pp. 86-100.[published paper]
- Thompson, Jeffery P. and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2012. "The Effect of Sales Taxes on Employment: New Evidence from Cross-Border Panel Data Analysis." National Tax Journal 65(4), 1023-1042. [published paper]
- Hanson, Andrew and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2011. "Do Location-Based Tax Incentives Attract New Business Establishments?" Journal of Regional Science 51, 427-449. [lead article][published paper]
- Rohlin, Shawn M., 2011. "State Minimum Wages and Business Location: Evidence from a Refined Border Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, 69:1:103-117. [published paper]
- Hanson, Andrew and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2011. "The Effect of Location Based Tax Incentives on Establishment Location and Employment Across Industry Sectors," Public Finance Review Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 195-225.[lead article] [published paper]
- Winner of the Most Outstanding Paper Award for 2011 in Public Finance Review
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2005. "A Theoretical Perspective on Managed Rangelands and Irreversible States," International Review of Economics and Finance, 2005: 14:487-494.[published paper]
Manuscripts and those Submitted to Refereed Academic Journals
- Horrace, William C. and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2014. "How Dark Is Dark? Bright Lights, Big City, Racial Profiling." [Revisions Requested at Review of Economics and Statistics]
- Rohlin, Shawn M. and Amanda Ross, 2014. "Does Bankruptcy Law Affect Business Turnover? Evidence from New and Existing Business." [Revisions Requested at Economic Inquiry]
- Ghosh, Sucharita, C. Lockwood Reynolds, and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2012. "The Spillover Effects of United States Foreign Trade Zones." [Submitted]
- Thompson, Jeffery P. and Shawn M. Rohlin, 2013. "The Effect of State and Local Sales Taxes on Employment at State Borders." [Submitted]
- Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-49. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) [Paper]