Required Assessments and Licensure:
Praxis Core, OAE (Ohio Assessments for Educators), edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment), ODE (Ohio Department of Education), and Licensure
Praxis Core, and ODE
- Q: Where can I find answers to advising questions related to declaring advanced standing, praxis exams, licensure and student teaching?
A: Most general advising questions can be answered by going to the EHHS student services website at http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/services/voss/.
- Q: Where can I find information on Praxis Core and ODE?
A: All art education majors should take Praxis Core as early in the program as possible. Do not delay. Praxis Core should be completed by the end of the ARTE 31001 semester. For detailed information on Praxis I and ODE, including test preparation, registration, required scores, and resources, see http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/services/voss/praxis/praxis-i.cfm
- Q: What's the passing Praxis I scores or equivalent required for Advanced Study?
- Passing Praxis I Scores = 174 Spring 2010 and beyond (175 Fall 2009 & Prior)
- Equivalent Required: ACT Reading = 26 or SAT Verbal = 620 or COMPASS Reading = 93
- Passing Praxis I Scores = 172 Spring 2010 and beyond (173 Fall 2009 & Prior)
- Equivalent Required: ACT English = 25 or SAT ——- or COMPASS Writing = 92
- Passing Praxis I Scores = 174
- Equivalent Required: ACT Math = 25 or SAT Math = 620 or COMPASS Math
For more information go to: http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/services/voss/praxis/praxis-i.cfm
Q. Where can I find information on OAE?
A. Beginning Sept. 1, 2013, a new test series (Ohio Assessments for Educators), began to replace the Praxis II series as the required Ohio educator licensure tests. Find out more at: http://www.oh.nesinc.com
Q. Where can I find information on edTPA?
A. edTPA is an assessment process designed by educators to answer the essential question: "Is a new teacher ready for the job?" Ohio is one of twenty states participating in a consortium to develop a National Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) for preservice teachers. This assessment of student teaching performance is designed to measure the candidate's knowledge, skills and ability, including demonstrating his/her ability to appropriately instruct students. Candidate performances are scored by trained assessors against one or more rubrics that describe levels of performance relative to each task/activity. For more information, click here to visit the Ohio edTPA web site.
Licensure Requirement (not required for graduation)
Q: How do I apply for a teaching license?
A: Candidates seeking Ohio licensure are required to pass specific assessments in order to apply for licensure. See Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type. Taking and passing the licensure tests prior to graduation is encouraged but not required. How to apply for a Teaching License starting January 2014 on the Vacca Office of Student Services site: http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/services/voss/how-to-apply-for-a-teaching-license-starting-january-2014.cfm