Kent State University believes and adheres to providing quality service to students. By establishing advising relationships, students and advisors can improve the quality of dialog as the student progresses from first year, to final year. Every student at Kent State University has an assigned academic advisor that remains with the student throughout their education. The only time an advisor changes is if the student’s program changes or campus.
Beginning in Summer 2012, all new students are required to meet with an advisor every semester. By meeting with an advisor, students are more likely to stay on track with their academic goals, and graduate in a timely manner.
Each Kent State University student is responsible for:
- Establishing an on-going relationship with University advisors (professional, faculty, etc.) in order to develop and define university related academic and career goals.
- Participating in periodic reflection and review of your personal academic goals.
- Attending required advising appointments on time and prepared. First and second year students are required to meet with an advisor each semester, and third year and beyond need to meet with an advisor at least once per year. (Additional appointments are encouraged and may be required by individual colleges/campuses.)
- Meeting with an advisor to develop and maintain an academic plan (GPS). However, the final responsibility for following procedures and meeting university, college and program requirements as outlined in the University Catalog rests solely with you.
- Pursuing successful completion of all courses for which you are enrolled.
- Being familiar with the current academic calendar, including, but not limited to, deadlines for course registration, course withdrawal and application for graduation.
- Knowing your academic record, including registration schedule for each semester and academic progress toward program completion.
- Maintaining a current and accurate mailing address, phone number and Kent State e-mail address in FlashLine.
- Reading and responding promptly to all communications from the university including checking and utilizing your kent.edu account on a regular basis.
- Being familiar with and adhering to the university's rules, regulations and policies.
- Asking questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Seeking out university resources as needed to help support your academic goals.
- Learning to become self-sufficient, independent, and accepting personal responsibility for your decisions.
Each Kent State University advisor is responsible for:
- Understanding and effectively communicating curriculum, academic progress, graduation requirements, and Kent State policies and procedures.
- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Listening to your concerns and respecting your individual values and choices.
- Assisting you in defining and reflecting on your academic, career, and personal goals, and assisting you in creating a realistic educational plan that is consistent with those goals.
- Being accessible and providing timely responses to your questions during office hours through scheduled meetings, telephone, or university email (or other university sanctioned technology).
- Assisting you in using Kent State systems such as GPS, WebScheduler, and FlashLine.
- Assisting you in knowing how to access important university information.
- Providing you with information about educational opportunities outside of the classroom
- Referring you to faculty and other university resources as appropriate.
- Establishing an on-going professional relationship with our students.
- Assisting you in your transition to university life.