Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

What To Do If You Are Dismissed From the University

Being academically dismissed from the University is a difficult situation.  This website provides information and resources to students who have been dismissed.

Criteria for Dismissal

According to University policy the Provost may dismiss:

1. Students on probation if the student’s cumulative GPA is within the following ranges:

  1. 16 – 29 GPA hours-below 1.500 cumulative GPA
  2. 30 – 59 GPA hours-below 1.700 cumulative GPA
  3. 60 – 89 GPA hours-below 1.800 cumulative GPA
  4. 90 or more GPA hours-below 1.900 cumulative GPA

2. A student on probation or a transfer student admitted on probation who receives 9 or more credit hours of any combination of the following grades in the semester under review: F, NF, SF, U.  This policy applies without regard to whetherthe designated grades were included or excluded from the student's cumulative GPA.

3. A student who fails to make adequate progress toward completion of the program of study (including but not limited to, excessive complete term withdrawals, course withdrawals or grades of NF, SF, or U). 

For more details, please review the policy at:

Appealing the Dismissal

Students can appeal their dismissal.  Appeals for Spring 2014 must be received in the college or campus office no later than May 29, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.  The colleges will review appeals and make their recommendations to the Provost. Students will be notified of the outcome via their email account. Please see the link to the guidelines document on the right side of this webpage for specific information.


There are many details that must be taken care of if you have been dismissed.  Please see the Dismissal Checklist on the right side of this webpage for details.


After 12 months, students may apply for reinstatement.  You can begin planning for reinstatement by clicking here to review the Reinstatement policy in the catalog.

Contact your college or campus advising office if you have any questions.