Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Give Back to Kent and Reduce Capital Gains

Offset higher capital gains taxes with a Charitable Gift Annuity or Trust funded with appreciated stock

If your taxable income exceeds $400,000 to $450,000, your tax rate this year for capital gains and dividends is rising from 15% to 20%. If your income is less than the threshold it remains at 15%; and if you're in the 10 to 15% tax brackets, you'll pay no tax on your capital gains or dividends.

If you're facing the higher gains tax, would like a guaranteed income, and want to include Kent State in your estate plans, a Charitable Gift Annuity or Trust may be the answer. If you fund a Charitable Trust with appreciated stock, all capital gains tax is avoided; and if you fund a Charitable Gift Annuity with appreciated stock, you'll bypass a portion of the capital gains tax. An added benefit of funding either gift option is that you'll receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction.

With a Charitable Gift Annuity, you or you and another person are entitled to a guaranteed lifetime income at a rate based on your ages(s). A good portion of the annual payment is free of tax, and payments can be made annually, semi-annually or quarterly. A minimum of $10,000 is needed to fund this gift.

Charitable Remainder Trusts can be set up to pay income to one or more persons, and the income fluctuates with market conditions. A minimum of $50,000 is needed to fund this gift. Trusts can be for lifetimes or a period of up to 20 years.

To learn more about gift annuities and trusts, contact the Center for Gift and Estate Planning at, call 330-672-0421 or email