Deadline: October 1 – Spring; June 1 – Fall
Late applications are accepted, but we recommend that international students apply as soon as possible to allow enough time for pre-departure.
General Admission Requirements:
- New freshman applicants must finish secondary school in their home country by the time of enrollment to be eligible for University (comparable to the completion of senior high school in the US). Any student who has already enrolled in any tertiary (higher education) institution is required to apply as a transfer student.
English Language Proficiency
- All international applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency unless they meet specific exceptions.
- Students should request that ETS send official TOEFL scores directly to Kent (institution code: 1367). An IELTS report can be sent as a scanned PDF or submitted electronically.
- The minimum scores for undergraduates is: TOEFL ≥ 71 (iBT)/ 525 (PBT) ; IELTS ≥ 6.0; Completing the ELS level 112 Intensive Program.
- Those who do not meet the minimum score for admission may be admitted conditionally if they meet academic requirements—Conditional Admission means students will take English language classes at our ESL Center before entering their program.
- Freshman should meet the minimum requirement of GPA ≥ 2.5 on a U.S. 4.0 scale
- Check website for special majors' selective requirements. Students that do not meet the minimum requirement but still want that program may be considered for the pre-major.
New Freshman Application Process:
- Submit an online application and application fee $70
- Prepare application documents
- Coverletter (Name, Application Web ID*)
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency Scores
- Secondary School Graduation Certificate/Diploma/Attending Certificate (Certified English translation and original language)
- Secondary School Transcripts/detailed mark sheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- Additional documents if required *Check website for special majors' selective requirements
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational and living expenses.
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet
3. Submission of all required documents to OGE
- Include the student's full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
- For faster processing, all the documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admission Office through email@example.com.
- If you attended a US institution, we must have official copies for admissions purposes. We cannot accept copies.
- Mailing the application is also acceptable for international applicants to the address here:
625 Loop Road | 106 Van Campen Hall | Kent, Ohio 44242
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. You should allow 3 weeks for the status of your application to be updated and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the University and will not be returned.
5. Provide final and official documents after arrival
For admission purposes, we accept scanned documents of academic credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcript and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or a module for ESL student). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.