Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Frequently Asked Questions

PDF Version

What is your address and/or ETS institution code to send TOEFL/GRE scores?

Please address items to:
Office of Global Education
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Road
PO Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001 USA
Or, you can email them as PDF attachments to
Our institution code for GRE and TOEFL scores is: 1367
A department code is not required 

How do I apply? What are the specific requirements?

Please find application information at this location:

Here you will find a lot of useful information regarding Kent State University admissions policies. We encourage you to apply online as well by following the same link.

For estimated expenses, please visit

For our current English language proficiency policies, please visit

If you are interested in studying ESL, please visit

For information about our Bachelor's degree programs and admissions requirements, please click here.

For information about our Master's and Doctoral degree programs and admissions requirements, please click here.

Deadlines for graduate programs are available here:

What are the admission requirements for my graduate program? When is the deadline to submit an application?

For information about our Master's and Doctoral degree programs and admissions requirements, please click here.
Deadlines for graduate programs are available here:

Do I need to submit my official transcripts to be considered for admission?

You must submit transcripts for each institution you have attended before your file will be given consideration. The transcripts should be in the original language and professionally translated into English.
For admissions purposes, we can accept scanned copies of international transcripts sent as PDF attachments to If you are accepted to Kent State University, you will need to bring in a hard copy of your final and official transcripts to the Office of Global Education before you can register for your second semester of classes.
If you attended a US institution, we must have official copies for admissions purposes. We cannot accept copies.

Do I need to submit my financial documentation for admissions purposes?

Financial documentation does not need to be submitted until after acceptance. You are welcome to submit your documents if you have them ready, but doing so is not required at this time.

What is a financial guarantee?

The financial guarantee is a document from your bank or the bank of a family member that states the balance of the account. The account does not need to be in US dollars, but it must demonstrate that you have enough funds to afford a year at Kent State University. A scholarship letter may also serve as a financial guarantee.
If your financial guarantee is in a language other than English, you will also need to complete the financial worksheet. The financial worksheet can be found here:

Do you offer conditional admission for graduate programs?

The current policy is that applicants to graduate programs must submit all required application materials, which includes proof of English proficiency. Otherwise, the applicant must apply directly to the ESL program. The completion of ESL does not guarantee admission to a graduate program.
This requirement is in place to make sure certain graduate students have the necessary English proficiency to do well in their courses. Have you taken the TOEFL or the IELTS? If so, scores are good for two years. If you haven’t taken it, it is recommended that you schedule a time to test so we can complete your graduate application.
Please find the minimum English proficiency scores for each department here:

Have I been admitted to my graduate program?

As a graduate applicant, you need to contact the department that houses your program to check your admission status. We do not make admissions decisions here at the Office of International Admissions for graduate applicants. We collect the materials and forward them to the individual departments for review.
If you applied to a graduate program and your status says "Please Contact Admissions Office," please inquire at the department. Departmental contact information is located in the Phone Directories on the Kent State University homepage.

I live abroad but I am a US citizen; do I still apply via your office?

As you are a US citizen you must apply via the domestic admissions office. In your application, you may need to include a copy of your US passport to prove your citizenship. To access an application for domestic admissions please visit:
For undergraduate: For graduate:
For graduate:

I live in a non-English speaking nation but I am a US [or other English speaking nation] citizen. Do I still need to submit proof of English Proficiency?

Unfortunately, citizenship of an English-speaking nation is not, on its own, a valid reason to waive English proficiency requirements. You need to have been educated primarily within an English-speaking nation or have 2 or more years studying at a university in an English-speaking nation to have your English proficiency requirement waived. If you meet one of these requirements you need to submit proof to admissions (such as secondary or post-secondary transcripts from an English-speaking nation school/university).For our current English language proficiency policies, please visit

What (GRE,GMAT, etc) score is required for my graduate program?

For most of our graduate programs there is no cut-off score for entrance exams. To get a better idea of which scores are most competitive for that program, please contact the department directly. They will be able to direct you more clearly. Their contact information can be found in the Phone Directories on the Kent State University homepage.

For information about our Master's and Doctoral degree programs and admissions requirements, please click here.
Deadlines for graduate programs are available here:

Can I enroll part-time?

As an international student on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must be enrolled in a program full-time (unless you have a special circumstance such as medical issues).
If you have a more specific question, please email our international student advisors at

How much does it cost to study at Kent State University?

You may find more information about estimated expenses here:
International students pay the same tuition as any out of state student—there is not a separate tuition rate for international students.

If I complete the ESL program am I guaranteed admittance into a graduate program?

Kent State only offers conditional admission based on English proficiency to undergraduates. Otherwise, a TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB score is required for graduate students.
You can certainly enroll in our English as a Second Language (ESL) program here at Kent if you need more training in English. Completion of this program, however, does not guarantee admission into a graduate program, but it is possible for you to continue your studies when finished.
For more information on the ESL program or for an application, please visit:

Are there scholarships for Undergraduate International Students?

The majority of our undergraduate international students pay for their education through family funding or funding provided by the government in their home country. Kent State University does have a competitive scholarship available for incoming freshman who apply for the Fall term. The deadline for consideration is February 15.
Download the international scholarship program application.

There are also opportunities to apply for scholarships awarded by third-parties. Please contact us for more information.

I have a 3-year Indian Bachelor’s Degree; can I be admitted into a graduate program?

Kent State is now considering Indian three-year Bachelor’s degrees from certain highly-accredited institutions if the student completed the degree in the first or second class or division. To see if you qualify, please scan and email a copy of your transcripts to us. An international admissions counselor will be in touch with you.

How much does housing cost on Kent’s campus?

The university provides a variety of housing for its students. Please see the following link to get an idea of average housing costs per year:

What are the Kent University and department codes to which my test scores should be sent?

The institution code for Kent State is 1367. There are no department codes.

I’m a transfer student. Can you tell me whether my credits will transfer?

International Admissions plays only a small role in the process of transferring international credits. We determine what the equivalent credit hours and grades are, but it is the responsibility of the student to meet with an academic advisor to see how these courses fit into your major at Kent State. We cannot guarantee all your credits will transfer to exact equivalents in your program.
If possible, please bring course syllabi and descriptions in English to make this process easier.

What is a letter of reference?

A letter of reference is an official letter from a former or present professor, employer or adviser who can attest to your ability to pursue graduate study. He or she can also address your moral character. Please do not send letters of reference from family members or personal friends.

There is a form located here if your recommenders wish to use it. They can also submit a regular letter of reference.

E-mails are not sent automatically to your recommenders—it is up to you to contact them and ask for the letter. They can email it as a PDF attachment to if they wish.

Is there any possible way I can be admitted without submitting proof of English proficiency?

The only way your English proficiency requirement can be waived is if you were primarily educated in one of the exempt English speaking countries on the list below or if you have studied for 2 or more years at a university in the US or one of the exempt English speaking nations on the list:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but this requirement is in place to make sure graduate students have the necessary English proficiency to do well in their courses.

For undergraduate students, you can be admitted conditionally without an English proficiency score. When you arrive, you will take an English language placement test to determine how much ESL you require, if any at all.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

How do I get a graduate assistant position?

Many graduate programs do offer graduate assistant positions to their students as a form of funding and practical experience. Each program and department will have specific information on whether they offer assistantships and what type of work / compensation their assistantships entail. To find out more about specific programs that may interest you, please use the following website:

Once you find a specific program that interests you, you can follow a link to the department's webpage and they should provide more information on assistantships if they offer them. You can also always email the department secretary to find out more information.

What English proficiency scores do I need for graduate study at Kent State?

All graduate applicants must obtain a minimum TOEFL score of 525 (71 on the Internet-based version) or a minimum MELAB score of 77 or IELTS score of 6.0 for full-time academic admission. Some programs require higher scores, which can be found here:

Do you accept WES evaluations?

We do not accept evaluations from World Education Services or any other third-party. We must have originals (or copies of originals) in both the issuing language and an English translation. We evaluate them ourselves according to Kent State’s policies.

I was denied admission last year, but I am reapplying for the coming year. Do I need to pay my application fee again?

Yes, you will need to pay your application fee again as there was a decision made on your application the last time you applied. We can only move a fee payment if the application was never completed and the student wishes to apply for another semester for admittance.

I am having problems submitting the application fee online, how else can I send it?

Sometimes the application website can malfunction. I suggest trying to submit the fee again by logging into your application here:

Please make sure you are using internet explorer.
If you are still having issues, you can submit your fee payment to our office in the form of a money order that is supported by a US banking institution. Do not use Western Union. Make sure your name is on the money order and mail it to:
Office of Global Education
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Road
PO Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001 USA

I just applied to Kent State, what other materials do I need to submit?

After you apply to Kent State you will receive any automated email stating all the additional application materials that will be needed to complete your application.
Please patiently await the automated email and you will see the list of items that will be needed. All materials can be scanned and submitted to this email address, or mailed directly to our office at:
Office of Global Education
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Road
PO Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001 USA

If you are applying for graduate study DO NOT submit any materials to the department. All international application materials must be sent to our office first.

I have been accepted to Kent State University. Where is my admission letter and I-20?
Admissions letters and immigration documents are not issued by International Admissions but by our International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS). You may find more information on these documents here: