General Admission Requirements:
The admission requirements and deadlines differ from program to program. Please check brochure and the website www.kent.edu/gps for the latest updates.
English Language Proficiency
- All international applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency unless they meet specific exceptions.
- International new freshman applicants with a TOEFL score should request that ETS send official scores directly to Kent (institution code: 1367). An IELTS report can be sent as a scanned PDF or submitted electronically.
- The minimum scores: TOEFL ≥ 71 (iBT)/ 525 (PBT)orIELTS ≥ 6.0; some graduate programs require higher scores. Please see the website above for details.
- Most graduate programs do not offer conditional admission. See details.
Graduate Application Process:
1. Submit an online application and application fee $70
2. Prepare application documents
- Cover Letter (Name, Application Web ID*)
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency score
- College transcript (Certified English translation and original language) **
- College Graduation Certificate/Diploma if available (Certified English translation and original language) **
- GRE/GMAT or other standardized tests (if required)
- Graduate assistantship application (if applicable)
- This may have a different deadline
- Application found here: http://www2.kent.edu/graduatestudies/prospectivestudents/financial-aid.cfm
- Additional documents if required *review requirements from individual department
- $70 application fee payment e-mail/screenshot (Name)
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet
3. Submission of all required documents to the Office of Global Education
- Include the student's full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
- For faster processing, all the documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admission Office through firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you attended a US institution, we must have official copies for admissions purposes. We cannot accept copies.
- Mailing the application is also acceptable for international applicants to the address provided:
Office of Global Education | Kent State University
625 Loop Road | 106 Van Campen Hall | Kent, Ohio 44242
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. You should allow 3 weeks for the status of your application to be updated and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the University and will not be returned. The Graduate timeline may differ greatly from undergraduates.
5. Provide final and official documents after arrival
For admission purposes, we accept scanned documents of academic credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcript and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or a module for ESL student). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
Graduate Application Process
We are happy to consider your application for graduate admission. After we receive your completed application and required documents, the process begins with an evaluation of your academic credentials and English proficiency. Your application then moves to the academic department in which you applied for a final review. The faculty in the academic department will make an admission decision of which you will be notified in writing. After you are admitted, an advisor in the International Student and Scholar Services office will issue your immigration documents and express mail them to you.
Graduate Student Assistantships
Kent State University offers both graduate assistantships and teaching fellowships. To be considered for one of these competitive awards, you will need to include an application for a graduate appointment with your application materials. If selected, then you will receive a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend in return for up to 20 hours of work per week. A teaching or research fellowship offers a full tuition waiver and monthly stipend and allows students to focus exclusively on teaching or research rather than departmental duties.
The Graduate Student Orientation program introduces master’s and doctoral students to campus resources and select faculty, staff and administrators. Attendance during the Graduate Student Orientation program is required of all graduate students with teaching assistantships and highly recommended for all other graduate students.
Attention Applicants from China
There is a website available, www.alpps.org, which allows you to create a student profile in order to differentiate yourself and provides our university with more information. We do not endorse or require applicants to use this system, but it can provide us with additional information to evaluate you along with your official application. Your student profile can be created and submitted at any time of the year for review.