Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Tuition & Financial Assistance

Financial Information and Resources for International Students

At Kent State University your success is just as important to us as it is to you. The university provides a variety of resources to ensure your personal success. Financial assistance is available to students at all levels of education.

Estimated Expenses

How much you would need to prepare for study abroad in Kent State?



  • Graduate students will need to document $27,106 of available financial support. Find out more about graduate student expenses.

ESL only

  • ESL students will need to document $21,566 of available financial support. Find out more about ESL program expenses.

Note: These expense estimates are set by Kent State annually and represented in U.S. dollars. The U.S. government requires all student visa applicants to show proof of funding that meets or exceeds these estimates. The totals above include money for tuition, housing, food, medical insurance and care, books and supplies, and miscellaneous expenses.

Financial Documentation

What is needed to issue your immigration document?

All international applicants to Kent State University must be able to document that they have the financial resources needed to support their educational and living expenses for at least one full year. Your financial support is usually verified by two documents:

  1. A completed Financial Information Worksheet (provided with the application for admission).
  2. A bank statement or a bank letter from the appropriate financial institution signed by an official. (Such a statement may also be in the form of an affidavit).

When to send the financial document?

  • Please note that your financial documents are not required for admission purposes but are required for us to process immigration documents.

How to send the financial document?

  • For faster process, all the documents can be scanned as a multi-page PDF file (within 5MB) and sent to International Admission Office through


International Freshman Scholarship Program

The International Freshman Scholarship program is available to any non-immigrant to the United States who is an incoming New Freshman student to Kent State University. This merit-based scholarship may vary in amount awarded to the student.

Admissions Requirements & Eligibility

  • New freshman only (transfers are not eligible)
  • Minimum cumulative Secondary school GPA 3.6 on US 4.0 scale
  • 27 ACT Composite or 1210 SAT Critical Reading & Math
  • The minimum international undergraduate admission requirement on language tests are TOEFL ≥ 71 (ibt) / ≥ 525 (pbt) or IELTS ≥ 6.0. 

Application Process

Students will be automatically considered for the scholarship if they apply by the deadline.

Application Deadline

Students must have been admitted to Kent State University by February 15.

Graduate Assistance

Many graduate programs offer fellowships or one of three types of graduate assistantships:  administrative, teaching or research.  Students should first inquire about the availability of assistantships through their academic program.

Admissions Requirements & Eligibility

  • Most assistantships are awarded to doctoral students and some programs fund 100% of their graduate students while others do not.  It is important to contact the program directly to see how they structure their assistantships. 
  • These competitive awards typically provide compensation in the form of a full tuition waiver in addition to a monthly stipend for 10-20 hours of work per week.   

Application Process

A general application is available here:

Application Deadline

Deadlines will vary.


Work Opportunities

Other available assistantships, along with other campus jobs, are posted through Career Services at  
  • International students are allowed to work a maximum 20 hours/week on campus.
  • International students are not allowed to work off-campus without prior approval.  Students should meet with an ISSS advisor in the Office of Global Education if they are interested doing this.