Computer Information Systems Minor
College of Business Administration
Department of Management and Information Systems
Room A432, Business Administration Building
Personal computers and local area networks are resulting in the penetration of computer information technology into even the smallest organizations. Today, most careers involve some activities related to the creation and use of computer-based information systems. To be competitive in the current job market, it is essential to achieve proficiency in this area. The Computer Information Systems minor is self-contained and assumes essentially no prior experience with computers or information systems. It complements students’ primary career field by providing knowledge and hands-on experience with computer technology. Students are able to design and build computer information systems of modest size and to participate with professional analysts, on an effective partnership basis, in the construction of large complex systems. Students also have the ability to aid their co-workers by performing computer system support in consultative and advisory roles.
|COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS MINOR REQUIREMENTS (18 credits)|
|MIS||24053||Introduction to Computer Applications*||3|
|24060||System Analysis I
|Electives: choose from the following||9|
|MIS||34032||Data and File Technology (3)|
|34033||Computer Programming for Business II (3)|
|34036||Large Systems Technology (3)|
|34045||Small Systems Technology (3)|
|34070||Principles of Systems Development
|34080||Computer Programming for Business I (3)|
|44042||Network Theory and Applications (3)|
|44043||Data Base Management Systems (3)|
|44044||Systems Analysis II (3)
|44045||Information Systems Management (3)
|44048||Software Integration (3)|
|44049||Network Management (3)|
|44095||Special Topics (3)|
|44292||Internship in Information Systems (3)|
* Course is substituted by TECH 10001 in Aviation Management concentration within the Aeronautics major.
Requirement to declare the computer information systems minor:
- Minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA; or if new freshman, no established GPA is required
Requirement to graduate with the computer information systems minor:
- Minimum 2.50 GPA (including all attempts of 30-40000 level courses) is required in the minor courses
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least two courses in the minor at Kent State University on a graded basis. At least one of these courses must be at the upper-division (30000 or 40000) level.
- CIS minors may use non-CIS courses as minor electives with permission. Please meet with a faculty CIS advisor to pursue this option.
- Double-counting of minor electives as major electives or requirements is not permitted. In other words, students should choose two CIS elective courses that are not part of the students’ major.
- COMT 21005, offered on the Regional Campuses, will be counted for MIS 34032 if the student earns a minimum B (3.0) grade in MIS 44043. Students should see an advisor either in the Undergraduate Programs Office or at the Regional Campus.