Music - B.A. Program Requirements
Type Legend: DD Diversity–Domestic; DG Diversity–Global; KAD Kent Core Additional; KBS Kent Core Basic Sciences; KCM Kent Core Composition; KFA Kent Core Fine Arts: KHU Kent Core Humanities; KMC Kent Core Mathematics and Critical Reasoning; KSS Kent Core Social Sciences; WIC Writing Intensive
||DESTINATION KENT STATE: FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE (1 credit)|
|US||10097||Destination Kent State: First Year Experience||1|
||MAJOR PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (56 credits) Courses count in major GPA|
|21121||Music Theory to 1750||3|
|21122||Music Theory, 1750-1900||3|
|KFA||22111||The Understanding of Music (music major section)
|22121||Music As a World Phenomenon (music major section)||3|
|31121||Western Music Since 1900||2|
|32211||Music History to 1750||3|
|WIC||32212||Music History, 1750-1900*||3|
|Jazz Improvisation I (2)**
Opera: Singer-Actor techniques (2)**
|Choose from the following: Applied Music***||16|
|MUS||36111||Applied Music-Piano (2)
|36311||Applied Music-Voice (2)
|36411||Applied Music-Violin (2)
|36412||Applied Music-Viola (2)
|36413||Applied Music-Cello (2)
|36414||Applied Music-Double Bass (2)
|36511||Applied Music-Flute (2)
|36512||Applied Music-Oboe (2)
|36513||Applied Music-Clarinet (2)|
|36514||Applied Music-Bassoon (2)
|36515||Applied Music-Saxophone (2)
|36611||Applied Music-Trumpet (2)
|36612||Applied Music-Horn (2)
|36613||Applied Music-Trombone (2)
|36614||Applied Music-Euphonium (2)
|36615||Applied Music-Tuba (2)
|36711||Applied Music-Percussion (2)
|Choose from the following: Major Ensemble****||8|
|MUS||45111||University Choir (1)
|45121||Kent Chorus (1)
|45141||Kent State University Chorale (1)
|45142||Men's Chorus (1)
|45143||Women's Chorus (1)
|45221||Concert Band (1)
|45223||Wind Ensemble (1)
|Choose from the following: Applied Music - Piano or Piano Class*****||2|
|MUS||27111||Piano Class (2)
|27112||Piano Class (2)
|36111||Applied Music-Piano (2)
|46111||Applied Music-Piano (2)
|III.||ADDITIONAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (64 credits)|
|Kent Core Additional (must be from two categories)||6|
|Kent Core Basic Sciences (must include one laboratory)||6-7|
|Kent Core Composition||6-8|
|Kent Core Humanities
|Kent Core Mathematics and Critical Reasoning||3-5|
|Kent Core Social Sciences (must be from two disciplines)||6|
|General Electives (minimum 7 upper-division credit hours)||34|
- Minimum C- (1.70) grade required in all music courses.
- Students who begin their music or music education major program as first semester freshmen are required to attend a minimum of 84 concerts or recitals. Music or music education majors who transfer from a non-music program or university must attend an average of 10 music recitals or concerts for semesters of full time enrollment.
- To graduate from Kent State University with the degree B.M. or B.A. in music, it is required that students take a major field achievement test in music history and music theory during their senior year. Specific score level achievement is not required.
- Applied music courses are available in the summer on selected instruments. Composition may also be taken in the summer.
* A minimum C (2.0) grade must be earned in MUS 32212 to fulfill the writing-intensive requirement.
** Instrumental principals take MUS 41341; Voice principals take MUS 45131.
*** Applied Music (8 semesters and 16 credit hours): Based on instrument of music degree acceptance. the 46000 level may be taken following a successful 46000-level barrier exam. Students must meet the 46000 entry level prior to graduation.
**** Major ensemble (8 semesters and 8 credit hours): Students must enroll in a major ensemble appropriate to their major performance area each semester they are registered full time as music majors.
***** Applied Music-Piano or Piano Class (2 credit hours): placement test required. MUS 17111 and 17112 do not count toward graduation. Students who have piano as the primary instrument replace these hours with electives.