International Business Minor
College of Business Administration
Academic Advising Office
Room 107, Business Administration Building
Global business is fast becoming an important part of the U.S. economy. The world that college graduates are facing will essentially be a triad of powers (the United States and, perhaps, Canada and Latin America; Europe; and Japan and its Asian neighbors) and a borderless world. This suggests a need to be trained for employment that will have international implications. Whether students take a major in business, fashion design and merchandising, the hard sciences, English or education, some training in global outreach, cultural diversity and “business cultures” will be necessary. The International Business minor introduces students to cultural issues of a broad, global nature. Students are encouraged to participate in study-abroad programs to complement their studies.
|BUSINESS MINOR REQUIREMENTS (24-35 credits)|
|Courses on a single foreign language or ILR Level One competency as determined by an international business faculty advisor in consultation with the appropriate language faculty member. Generally, this proficiency can be achieved by completion of the Intermediate I level of a foreign language.)||0-11|
|Required sophomore- and junior-level business core|
|ECON||22060||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|22061||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|MKTG||25010||Principles of Marketing||3|
|Major Electives-choose from the following:
|ECON||42075||International Economic Relations (3)|
|FIN||46064||International Business Finance (3)|
|MKTG||45060||International Marketing (3)|
|Electives-choose from the following:||3|
|International Study Experience|
|A second foreign language|
|COMM||35852||International Communication (3)|
|ECON||32075||Introduction to International Trade (3)|
|GEOG||17063||World Geography (3)|
|37040||Geography of Africa (3)|
|37050||Geography of Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (3);|
|37066||Geography of Europe (3)|
|37070||Geography of East and Southeast Asia (3)|
|37079||Geography of South Asia (3)|
|37084||Geography of South America (3)|
|37085||Geography of Central America and Mexico (3)|
|HIST||31140||Modern Latin America (3)|
|41114||Economic History of East Asia in Modern Times (3)|
|41116||History of Japan (3)|
|POL||10004||Comparative Politics (3)|
|10500||World Politics (3)|
|30511||Problems of International Organization (3)|
|30550||Latin American Politics (3)|
|30551||U.S.-Latin American Relations (3)|
|30820||International Organization and Law (3)|
|40930||U.S. Foreign Policy (3)|
Requirement to declare the international business minor:
- Minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA; or if new freshman, no established GPA is required.
Requirement to graduate with the international business minor:
- Minimum 2.50 GPA (including all attempts in 30-40000 level courses) is required in the minor courses.
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least two courses in the minor at Kent State University on a graded basis. At least one of these courses must be at the upper-division (30000 or 40000) level.
- Students with an interest in this minor are encouraged to take as their social science LER at least one of the following courses: GEOG 17063 World Geography, POL 10004 Comparative Politics and/or POL 10500 World Politics.
- Satisfaction of all course prerequisites is required.