Human Resource Management Minor
College of Business Administration
Academic Advising Office
Room 107, Business Administration Building
The competitive advantage derived from the more effective use of human resource management (HRM) policies, practices and procedures is the focus of the HRM minor. The HRM minor is relevant to a variety of students university wide who want to learn to better manage a firm’s human resources. This includes, but is not limited to, students who become line managers and need to implement HR policies as they hire and manage the performance of their employees, students who become entrepreneurs and need a fundamental knowledge of HRM to run their companies more effectively, and students who become members of not-for-profit organizations and need to understand the basics of HRM because they rarely are able to hire HR staff. The curriculum of the HRM minor covers a range of topic areas taught from both theoretical and applied perspectives. Students are exposed to a wide array of HR functional areas including staffing, performance management, training, compensation, employer-employee rights and responsibilities and human resource information systems.
|HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT MINOR (24 credits)|
|ACCT||23020||Introduction to Financial Accounting||3|
|COMM||25863||Business and Professional Communication||3|
|MIS||24163||Principles of Management||3|
|34180||Human Resource Management||3|
|44091||Seminar in Human Resource Management *||3|
|44183||Developing and Training Human Resources in Organizations *||3|
|44195||Advanced Topics in Human Resource Management **||3|
|Electives: choose from the following
|MIS||34165||Dynamics of Leadership (3)|
|34185||Individual and Group Behavior (3)|
*Course offered fall semester only.
**Course offered spring semester only.
Requirements to declare the human resource management minor:
- Officially declared major (no pre-majors, general or undeclared)
- Minimum 60 semester hours completed
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA Graduation requirement: Minimum 2.75 GPA is required in the minor courses.
- Students should plan on four semesters to complete this minor due to sequencing and availability of courses.
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least two courses in the minor at Kent State University on a graded basis. At least one of these courses must be at the upper-division (30000 or 40000) level.