Begin by thinking about your interests and identifying faculty members with similar research interests. Departmental websites provide faculty profiles with information such as expertise, research interests, and recent publications. Information about research groups and links to research group websites may also be available. Once you have some background, set up an appointment to discuss possibilities with your advisor or a faculty member whose research matches your interests.
Credit for Coursework
To receive academic credit for research through coursework such as Individual Investigation or Senior Honors Thesis, check with your department for information on eligibility requirements, registration, participating faculty, and current research topics. Initial information can often be found on departmental websites or by checking with your departmental office. Schedule an appointment with your advisor or a faculty member whose research matches your interests for more detailed information. A faculty member must agree to serve as your research advisor before you can register for Individual Investigation. Additional approvals must be obtained from the department and the Honors College before you can register for Senior Honors Thesis.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Check your departmental website or office for information on the availability of these positions which may be paid or volunteer.
Undergraduate Research Programs & Internships
Undergraduate research programs and internships can provide students with the opportunity for concentrated research participation. They are often held over the summer, but may also be conducted during the academic year and may include financial compensation.The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program sponsored by the National Science Foundation offers research opportunities in many different disciplines. REU sites are located at KSU, throughout Ohio, and across the United States.
- Visit the Kent State University Chemistry REU program website to learn more about the KSU REU site or to submit an application.
- Search for other REU sites to find many more REU opportunities.
Undergraduate research programs and internships are also sponsored by many other organizations.
- Check your departmental website or office for discipline-specific opportunities.
- The McNair Scholars Program is available to eligible KSU undergraduate students.
- Off campus undergraduate research opportunities can be located through sites such as:
- The University of California at Irvine's database of National Research Opportunities
- Case Western Reserve University's listing of Off Campus Research Opportunities
- The Ohio State University's listing of Research Internships at Other Sites
- The American Chemical Society's Research Opportunities Database
- The American Mathematical Association Undergraduates Summer Programs listing
- The Nucleus resources for physics and astronomy undergraduates Research/Internship Opportunities listing
- The National Institute of Standards Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program at Gaithersburg, MD or Boulder, CO