Michael Strickland is a theoretical physicist who specializes in high-energy particle physics, heavy ion collisions, and finite temperature/density quantum field theory. Michael's primary interest is the physics of the quark-gluon plasma (QGP). These plasmas are predicted by quantum chromodynamics (QCD) to have existed until approximately 10-5 seconds after the big bang and are currently being studied terrestrially by experimentalists at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Labs and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These exciting experiments are increasing our knowledge of the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- M. Strickland, Anisotropic Hydrodynamics: Three lectures, Acta Phys. Polon. B, 45, 2355 (2014).
- G.S. Denicol, U.W. Heinz, M. Martinez, J. Noronha, and M. Strickland, Studying the validity of relativistic hydrodynamics with a new exact solution of the Boltzmann equation, Phys. Rev. D 90, 125026 (2014).
- G.S. Denicol, U.W. Heinz, M. Martinez, J. Noronha, and M. Strickland, A new exact solution of the relativistic Boltzmann equation and its hydrodynamic limit, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 202301 (2014).
- U.W. Heinz, D. Bazow, and M. Strickland, Viscous hydrodynamics for strongly anisotropic expansion, Nucl. Phys. A, 931, 920 (2014).
- A. Jaiswal, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Transport coefficients for bulk viscous evolution in the relaxation time approximation, Phys. Rev. C 90, 044908 (2014).
- G.S. Denicol, W. Florkowski, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Shear-bulk coupling in nonconformal hydrodynamics, Phys. Rev. C 90, 044905 (2014).
- M. Strickland, J.O. Andersen, A. Bandyopadhyay, N. Haque, M.G. Mustafa, and N. Su, Three loop HTL perturbation theory at finite temperature and chemical potential, Nucl. Phys. A, 931, 841 (2014).
- M. Nopoush, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Bulk viscous evolution within anisotropic hydrodynamics, Phys. Rev. C 90, 014908 (2014).
- W. Florkowski, R. Ryblewski, M. Strickland, and A. Tinti, Leading-order anisotropic hydrodynamics for systems with massive particles, Phys. Rev. C 89, 054909 (2014).
- W. Florkowski, E. Maksymiuk, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Exact solution of the (0+1)-dimensional Boltzmann equation for a massive gas, Phys. Rev. C 89, 054908 (2014).
- N. Haque, A. Bandyopadhyay, J.O. Andersen, M.G. Mustafa, M. Strickland, and N. Su, Three-loop HTLpt thermodynamics at finite temperature and chemical potential, Journal of High Energy Physics 2014, 5, 1-46 (2014).
- M. Strickland, Anisotropic Hydrodynamics: Motivation and Methodology, Nucl. Phys. A 926, 92 (2014).
- High Energy Physics
- Finite Temperature Field Theory
- Quark Gluon Plasma
- Heavy Ion Collisions
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Adjunct Fellow
Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, KITP Scholar
OFFICEDepartment of Physics
206B Smith Hall
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-3771
COURSES TEACHINGSpring 2015
- PHY 40095 - 001 Special Topics
- PHY 60098 - 004 Research
- PHY 60199 - 004 Thesis I
- PHY 66162 - 001 Quantum Mechanics Ii
- PHY 76162 - 001 Quantum Mechanics Ii
- PHY 80097 - 001 Physics Colloquium
- PHY 80199 - 001 Dissertation I
- PHY 80299 - 023 Dissertation Ii