New Home of CAED
This October 3rd and 4th weekend you are invited to return to campus, see the changes and what the future holds for CAED. The college will be hosting a number of events to celebrate the groundbreaking for the new building; this is an ideal time to visit your alma mater!
We want this to be a great experience for you; a time to reconnect, participate in the building project and meet alumni from other years. More than 10 classes have committed to reunions and many alumni are planning to return to campus. Our hope is to have more than 150 alumni come back to campus and celebrate together.
If you have any questions please contact Wiley Runnestrand (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marti Ring (email@example.com); especially if you are interested in planning a reunion for your class.
Hotel Information: Kent Hotel and Conference Center has rooms on reserve; please indicate that you are attending the groundbreaking. We have a special discounted rate!
- Phone: 330-346-0100
- Name of Event: CAED Ground Breaking
- Event Code: CAED14 (must register by phone)
Friday, October 3rd: Groundbreaking
- Official groundbreaking: The event will be open to the public and media. This will kick off to the weekend and put the new building into perspective along the esplanade. For those of you who haven't been to campus, this will be a great time to see the revitalized Kent while meeting others from the community and university.
- Location: Building Site along the Esplanade (Across the street from Rockwell Hall)
- Time: 3:30 to 5:00 pm
- Speakers: Kent State President Beverly Warren, CAED Dean Doug Steidl
Saturday, October 4th: College Exhibition
- Description: Students and professors will be on 4th floor Taylor Hall to show you their projects and explain how the curriculum works. This will be a great time to meet students and see how their skills progress through the program.
- Location: 4th floor Taylor Hall
- Time: Between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm
Saturday, October 4th: All Alumni Reception
- Description: The University will sponsor a CAED alumni only event to discuss the building in more detail and share what is in store for the college in the future. This will be a chance for all alumni to come together and meet each other. The new University president Beverly Warren will also be in attendance, she is very interested to meet graduates and hear what you have to say about the university. You will also get the chance to meet the design/construction team. We will also have a signing opportunity to ensure your name is always in the building.
- Location: Kent Hotel and Conference Center
- Time: 5:30 to 7:00 pm
The College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) at Kent State University will soon begin construction on a new facility, designed and located to be a physical statement of the strengthened relationship between the city and university. The building is placed along the Lefton Esplanade, the primary connection between the two entities, engaging not only our design students but the campus and city as a whole. Approaching from the west, it will be the first impression of the university, a culmination of planning and relationships.
The facility is meant to engage this broader community in design, to beg them to consider how design has created their daily habitats. We hope that the site will offer inspiration to the next generation of designers and users who will experience what it is like to have a building meld seamlessly with its environment while having a positive impact on its occupants. This is the significance of the design; it will be a reminder of what the physical environment means to our daily lives.
The building is a continuing example of CAED’s success which extends into programs with three new master degrees. The master of Landscape Architecture will focus on the methods required to enhance our cities in an ever changing environment. Healthcare Design will explore and support our region’s strength and renown in the medical field. And our Master of Science will push our students to find the next answer, to question the foundations of design and expand them to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow.